Winterize Your Home With These Simple Steps
Calling all Charlotteans –winter is on the way! Make sure your home is ready to withstand the cold weather in the coming months by following these 8 simple steps. If you need any help along the way, be sure to give Killingsworth a call!
1) Replace your furnace filters.
I know we say this a lot, but it's so easy to forget. Filters should be changed at least once per month.
2) Get your furnace maintenance.
Before firing up your furnace for the winter, it is imperative to have it serviced. Just like your AC system, furnaces should receive routine maintenance at least once per year.
3) Prepare carbon monoxide detectors.
Check to make sure your carbon monoxide detector has back up batteries and is working properly before firing up your furnace. If you do not have a carbon monoxide detector, we highly recommend investing in one!
4) Turn off water supply to outdoor pipes.
This simple step will help prevent frozen and/or bursting pipes in the winter.
5) Disconnect and drain all hoses and protect faucets with winter covers.
6) Winterize your lawn sprinkler system if you have one.
Watch this quick video to learn more
7) Clean gutters of leaves and debris.
This step is important as it helps prevent water build up in the gutter leading to potential freezing and possible water damage.
8) Install weather stripping or draft guards where needed.
Keep the cool air drafts out this winter. Not only will this make your home more comfortable, but it will also help save money on your energy bill.
If you follow each of these steps, your home will be winterized in no time!
Should you ever need a home maintenance service, never hesitate to schedule an appointment with our experts. No one knows homes like Killingsworth.