Create a safe and secure home with these improvements.
We know you’ll do whatever it takes to create an environment where your family can live comfortably and free from harm. After all, a safe and secure home is what every homeowner aims to achieve! While your list of home improvements might be pretty lengthy, you might consider moving a few of these improvements to the top of your list, especially if yours and your family’s well being is a top priority.
1. Check-in with your detectors
Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are a huge home safety feature, but they require a bit of regular maintenance from time to time in order to continue functioning properly.
- Replace any detector that is older than 10 years.
- Update detectors for new, advanced technology which responds to a multitude of fire conditions and limits false alarms.
- Test all detectors at least once a month.
- Switch to an interconnected system so when one sounds, they all sound. (Most newer homes will already have an interconnected system)
2. Test the air
Pollution isn’t only an outdoor concern, in fact, indoor air quality is twice as polluted as outdoor air in North Carolina. See for yourself–test the air quality in your home. We think you’ll be quite disgusted. Breathe easier when you take these steps towards cleaner and safer air.
- Check your home’s air filters and ducts. Not only can a dirty air filter have a negative effect on the efficiency of your HVAC system, it can also put dust and other contaminants back into your home’s air. Replace your air filters every 3-5 months and be sure you choose the right filter for your home.
- Test for radon- a naturally occurring radioactive gas which can be dangerous over time.
3. Give your home a deep clean
Maintain your home’s overall cleanliness for a safer and more secure home!
- Eliminate the factors that attract (potentially harmful) pests, rodents, or other contaminants such as their food source or ideal living conditions.
- Get rid of clutter. An organized house will limit stress, prevent accidental falls, and limit the places pests can hide.
4. Out of sight, out of reach
If you have little ones at home, you how they can be drawn to things they know they’re not supposed to have. Every week around 500 children under five are hospitalized because it’s believed that they swallowed something poisonous. For this reason, it’s very important to keep poisonous substances out of sight and out of reach. For example, always be aware of the following:
5. Stop the leaks
Even a minor leak in your home’s plumbing system can cause major problems, from repair costs to mold removal and more. Regular maintenance of your home’s plumbing system and appliances can prevent issues, keeping your home dry and family safe!
- Adjust the water pressure. High pressure can cause pipes, hoses, and water lines to leak or burst.
- Install a water sensor which will make you aware of leaks and other problems before they get worse.
- Check appliances to make sure they’re working efficiently and properly as they can be the source of major home water problems.
- Adjust your home’s water heater temperature to be sure no one burns themselves.
Killingsworth takes home maintenance very seriously. We are here to help you with any and all of your home improvement needs. Schedule a service with us today!