With the approach of colder weather, the risk of increased rodent activity becomes a real concern.
According to Killingsworth's Anticimex SMART data, rats and mice are persistent issues year-round. Late
summer and early fall present an ideal opportunity to implement basic exclusion and rodent-proofing
strategies for your Charlotte area home or business. When combined with professional pest control
services from Killingsworth, these measures can significantly reduce the chances of rodents overwintering
and creating infestations.
It's crucial to bear in mind that rats can squeeze through holes as small as a dime, and mice can slip
through holes as small as a quarter. Take a careful inventory of your property and pay special attention to
potential entry points, which often include HVAC unit lines, utility/cable TV holes, gaps at the bottom of
doors, dryer vents, and structural or foundation cracks.
Don't let rodents infest your home, call Killingsworth at 704-563-8787
Effective Tips for Keeping Mice and Rats Out
- Declutter the area around your home to eliminate harborage areas for mice, including firewood
piles, stored patio furniture, and children's toys.
- Trim back plants and trees that come into contact with or overhang your structure.
- Inspect entry doors, especially garage doors, and replace them if they are damaged or worn.
- Examine all utility penetrations through your structure's exterior walls, such as electrical, gas, or
air conditioner lines. Seal any openings using appropriate materials like steel wool or copper
mesh. Avoid using expanding foam, as rats and mice can chew through it.
- Inspect window and vent screens for holes and gaps, and make necessary repairs. This includes
checking crawlspace vents.
- Examine your siding for gaps, especially at corners, and seal them as needed using suitable
- Ensure that any gaps or openings around your home larger than the size of a dime are sealed.
Essential Materials for Rodent-Proofing
To effectively rodent-proof your property, gather these essential tools and materials:
- Medium-grade or higher-quality steel wool
- Copper mesh
- 1/4-inch thick wire mesh screens
- All-weather caulk sealant
- Door sweeps and weather stripping
- Crawl space vent covers
Use the following tools to enhance your rodent-proofing efforts:
- Wire cutters
- Utility knife
- Power drill
- Caulk gun
Call 704-563-8787 for expert rodent control from Killingsworth!
Repairing Rodent Entry Points
- Seal gaps around utility lines and HVAC lines using copper mesh. Roll the metal into a piece large
enough to cover the entry point, and secure it with a screwdriver. The damage it may cause to
their mouths will discourage rodents from chewing through the mesh.
- Address gaps under doors by installing weather stripping or door sweeps. Ensure the gap is
completely sealed, allowing no light to shine through. If a pen or pencil can still fit through,
- Prevent dryer vents from becoming entry points by maintaining proper sealing of the flaps.
Regularly clear vents of lint and consider installing a metal vent screen or a rodent-proof vent
according to the manufacturer's instructions. Seal any cracks around the vent with steel wool
and cover it with caulk.
- Seal foundational and structural cracks and openings with 1/4-inch thick galvanized steel wire
mesh. If you're a DIY enthusiast, get ready for measuring, cutting, and power drilling.
- Some openings, such as crawlspace vents, may necessitate reinstalling the vent cover.
The SMART Solution: Cutting-Edge Pest Control Technology
Killingsworth’s Anticimex SMART technology is an eco-friendly, 24/7 wireless pest control solution. The
SMART system relays information to Killingsworth headquarters. This allows our pest control
professionals to identify areas with high rodent pressure.
Thanks to innovative SMART technology from Anticimex, you can put worries about rodents in your
home or garage behind you. Killingsworth will identify the issue before you even notice it!
A successful SMART service involves three core steps: inspection, monitoring, and pest-proofing. Rodent
proofing plays a pivotal role in the SMART Service.
Our SMART Devices remain active 24/7 and provide valuable data trends that allow us to accurately
assess rodent activity, removing the guesswork. For proactive and effective pest control, trust Anticimex
SMART technology from Killingsworth.